Global Investment Pulse
  • Investing
  • Stock
  • Business
  • Politics
Business

On air, ’60 Minutes’ reporter says ‘none of us is happy’ about changes that led top producer to quit

by admin April 29, 2025
April 29, 2025

“60 Minutes” correspondent Scott Pelley paid tribute Sunday to Bill Owens, the show’s executive producer who resigned last week, saying on the air that “none of us is happy” about the extra supervision that corporate leaders are imposing.

Pelley made his comments at the end of the evening’s CBS News telecast, saying that in quitting, Owens proved he was the right person for the job.

“It was hard on him and it was hard on us,” Pelley said. “But he did it for us — and you.”

His on-air statement was an unusual peek behind the scenes at the sort of inner turmoil that viewers seldom get the opportunity to see.

Owens, only the third top executive in the 57-year history of television’s most influential newscast, resigned last week, saying he no longer felt he had the independence to run the program as he had in the past, and felt necessary.

CBS News’ parent company, Paramount Global, is in the midst of a merger with Skydance Media that needs the approval of the Trump administration. Trump has sued “60 Minutes” for $20 billion, saying it unfairly edited a Kamala Harris interview last fall to her advantage. Owens and others at “60 Minutes” believe they did nothing wrong and have opposed a settlement.

As a result, Pelley explained to viewers on Sunday, Paramount has begun to supervise “60 Minutes” stories in new ways. Former CBS News President Susan Zirinsky, a longtime news producer, has reportedly been asked to look at the show’s stories before they air.

“None of our stories has been blocked,” Pelley said. “But Bill felt he lost the independence that honest journalism requires. No one here is happy about it. But in resigning, Bill proved he was the right person to lead ‘60 Minutes’ all along.”

Despite this, “60 Minutes” has done tough stories about the Trump administration almost every week since the inauguration in January, many of them reported by Pelley. On Sunday, “60 Minutes” correspondent Sharyn Alfonsi had the latest, interviewing scientists about cutbacks at the National Institutes for Health.

Trump was particularly angered by the show’s telecast two weeks ago, saying on social media that CBS News should “pay a big price” for going after him.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

previous post
IBM pledges $150 billion to boost U.S. tech growth, computer manufacturing
next post
FPX Nickel Announces Board and Management Changes

You may also like

Trump accused Fed governor Lisa Cook of mortgage...

August 29, 2025

Trump accused Fed Governor Lisa Cook of mortgage...

August 29, 2025

AI detects sound of frog species threatened in...

August 29, 2025

Cracker Barrel rebrand: Why companies retreat when faced...

August 29, 2025

Lego hits record revenue in first half of...

August 28, 2025

Google has eliminated 35% of managers overseeing small...

August 28, 2025

Cracker Barrel will go back to old logo...

August 28, 2025

Frontier Airlines goes after struggling rival Spirit’s customers...

August 27, 2025

What a stake in Intel could mean for...

August 27, 2025

From American Eagle to Swatch, why brands seem...

August 26, 2025

Leave a Comment Cancel Reply

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

    Join our mailing list to get access to special deals, promotions, and insider information. Your exclusive benefits await! Enjoy personalized recommendations, first dibs on sales, and members-only content that makes you feel like a true VIP. Sign up now and start saving!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    Recent Posts

    • S&P 500 Breaking Out Again: What This Means for Your Portfolio

      August 29, 2025
    • FY25 Results Announcement

      August 29, 2025
    • Appendix 4E

      August 29, 2025
    • FY25 Preliminary Results Summary and Company Update

      August 29, 2025
    • Charbone Hydrogene annonce les resultats financiers T2 2025

      August 29, 2025
    • About us
    • Contacts
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Email Whitelisting

    Disclaimer: globalinvestmentpulse.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2025 globalinvestmentpulse.com | All Rights Reserved

    Global Investment Pulse
    • Investing
    • Stock
    • Business
    • Politics